First of all, thank you for taking the time to read my blog out of the 68, 776, 011 other blog sites that WordPress has on record at this very minute in time.
Now straight to the point. My task for this week in my Enterprise 2.0 class is to discuss what I believe makes a successful blog and to introduce my blogging strategy. Easier said than done.
To be honest I cannot draw on any past experiences of my own to help me here, even though I currently work in a social media and digital marketing role. In my 13 or so years experience online, I have only attempted to write one other blog. The strategy for this aforementioned blog was, in a nut shell to whinge about my life in what I believed was a very witty fashion and post ‘relevant’ memes, like the one below. I only ever showed it to a friend and then promptly deleted it.
From what I have learnt in class, in combination with some reading of blogs about ‘how to make a successful blog’, this has opened my eyes to some important aspects a blog should have and how I can apply these in my blogging strategy.
- Build a relationship and be part of the community- Comments and contribution should be encouraged for my readers, and I will also strive to use social media websites to help promote my entries and to maybe gain some readership outside my Enterprise 2.0 class.
- Keep it simple and relevant- I myself do not want to have to search for information on someone’s blog page, so it’s important to maintain a simplistic style and layout to my entries while ensuring that my content does not go too far off topic. If someone has come to read about my knowledge and learning’s in Enterprise 2.0 they most likely don’t want to hear me rant on about how cute my miniature dachshund is…
- Post frequently- There’s no way to maintain a readership if a blog is not updated.
I don’t read too many blogs (I’m on a mission to change that!), but two examples of which that I think encapsulate the above ideals and are extremely relevant to their particular contexts are:
- Digital Buzz Blog– this is a marketing and advertising blog that is updated daily with the latest in marketing news, campaigns, social media tips, etc. I find the blog is easy to navigate and is well linked to other social media platforms of theirs, which is how I stumbled across it in the first place.
- Veronica Roth’s Blog– As a successful young-adult book writer, Veronica started her blog in college before she began writing her now-published book series. While I don’t read this blog as often now as it is mainly focused on promoting her books, originally her original thoughts and humour, mixed with writing tips and a genuine interest in building a relationship with her readers kept me interested.
Hopefully with a combination of these strategies and tips I will be able to hone in and refine my skills as an effective blogger! That’s all from me for now, please leave a comment or suggestion for me and I’ll be sure to try and do the same for you.